DIY CROSSFIT GARAGE GYM part 2 – fitness

I’m back with another update!
We are getting closer and closer to completing our Crossfit garage gym.
This week it’s all about my comesupwiththebestideasandisreallysuperhandy HUSBAND!
I don’t know how he does it, but Jeff will find yet another piece of equipment that he can make out of wood!
He doesn’t use plans or get some idea off the Internet…
…nope!
Instead he ‘makes it as he goes!’
I am often inspired and amazed by his creations!
 They have saved us more money than I think we even realize.
We are living on a tight budget so it will probably take us about a year to gather everything we need, but in the meantime my husband is going to continue to come up with ingenious ideas that we want to share with ALL OF YOU!
I’m turning this blog post over to the hubs for this post…so get excited for his step by step instructions on how to construct your own SQUAT RACK and PULL-UP BAR for your home gym!
 SQUAT RACK
Materials
2 – 6’ 2×6 (uprights)
2 – 8’ 2×4 (base & supports)
Scrap wood (bracing against wall)
I found scrap 2×6 and 2×4 material on a project site and decided to build a squat rack with it.
So this squat rack I built was 100% free.
 The uprights were already cut to about 5.5′ tall but you can build yours to any height.
 I made alternating marks every 2” (spacing for bar) and 3” (spacing for bar support).
So mark 2” then 3” then 2” etc.
I then drew lines at an angle to help hold the bar in the rack.
 After getting everything marked out the way I wanted, (you can use your creativity on this) I then drilled holes for my jig saw blade so it could fit into the holes to cut the notches.
I then cut out the 2” sections to create the cradle for the bar.
 After sanding the uprights I then took some 2×4’s and fastened them to the bottom and connected them with a brace.
 I spaced my uprights 46” apart to accommodate my weight bar.
 I then built a brace into my wall that would connect with the squat rack, this brace helps hold the uprights up vertical so they don’t fall over.
The nice this about this is you can use your creativity to make a squat rack that works best with your needs.
PULL-UP BAR
Materials
1- 8’ 4×4 post
2- 8’ 2×4
1- 48” 1-1/4” Steel “Black” Plumbing pipe
4- 4” long lag screws/bolts
2- 5” x 3/8” nuts and bolts w/ washers
1- HAMMERED RUST-OLEUM spray paint
In my garage I have a 12’ tall ceiling so I had to make sure my pull-up bar was low enough for my wife yet high enough for me.
I fitted mine to work for both of us, so you’ll need to take the time to adjust it to your right height.  Once I figured out the correct height I cut the posts and then fastened the 2×4’s to the post to create the “truss” structure.
Remember that you get your strength from cross bracing (triangles).
I then drilled 1-1/4” sized holes to accommodate the pipe (Your pipe needs to have an outside diameter of 1-1/4”).
 I then bolted the wood supports into my ceiling trusses with wood lag screws/bolts.
 I used two bolts for each support structure.
After getting the supports fastened I then threaded the bar through the holes and drilled smaller holes horizontally through the post and pipe.
 I then ran long bolts through both the post and pipe and tightened them down to hold the bar tight and snug.
Finally, I added a couple coats of HAMMERED spray paint to decrease rust and help with the grip on the pipe.

We have had the pull-up bar for almost 3 months now and it has been able to handle my 225 pound husband swinging back and forth on it pretty much every night!!

These little additions have been great for our gym!

If you have any questions about crossfit, our gym, or these DIY projects, feel free to email or comment below!

• Meagan@Meagan Tells All

So cool! Go Jeff and his skill and talent in building! My grandfather was a carpenter and I just admire people who can build anything without using any instructions.

And just because– Your bod. Stop it.

• Sadie Jane Sabin

I know it!! Jeff amazes me how he can just put things together!! You are such a doll Meagan! Miss you so much and look up to you as a mother and friend! XOXO

• Youngs

Is your “gym” only for personal use?

• Sadie Jane Sabin

Oh yes! We have friends over to workout but nothing for profit of course!:) The hubs and I just enjoy working out together every night!:)

• UM facemelt

Hey there! Glad I found your post. I’m employed at a non-profit organization working with teens, and the gym is lacking in a squat rack. As funding is limited, this route could be feasible. My question: what weight have you found to be reasonable for this rack to hold? Thanks!

• Sadie Jane

The rack will hold about 300 pounds give or take! It has never broken so we don’t exactly know the max weight!!

• Carissa

Do you remember the ballpark amount these 2 projects cost? So glad I stumbled on this today!!!!

• Chris

I noticed there’s some big splits down both 4x4s. is that from the shearing force of kipping? Has that been an issue at all?

• Sadie Jane

The splits are a result from the nature curve and the split of the wood!! It just splits but it hasn’t effected it at all!! I haven’t seen any wear from it from us kipping and my husband is 235 pounds!

• Steve

What did you use to fasten the 2×4’s to the posts? Just screws?

• Shawn Hemminger

Thanks for sharing this post. I’ve just finished making a squat rack and getting ready to build a pull up bar. The only thing I have left to do is sad down the squat rack.

• Lexie

I’d love to build my own gym in the garage! I made these paralettes to work on dips and they were really cheap and easy to make. They might be a good addition to your gym. http://www.heaveyduty.com/2013/08/homemade-pvc-parallettes/

• Furniture

Having read this I believed it was rather enlightening.
    I appreciate you finding the time and effort to put
    this content together. I once again find
    myself personally spending a lot of time both reading and commenting.
    But so what, it was still worthwhile!

• Quyen

I am actually pleased to read this web site posts which
    contains plenty of helpful information, thanks for providing these data.

Iwould like to thank you for the efforts you’ve pput in writing this
    website. I am hoping to check out the same high-grade blog
    posts fom you later on as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has motivated mme
    to get my own blog now 😉

• Jay

Our those a couple of great river race RAGNAR medals I see in the background?

• Brady

This is so much easier than the other squat racks that i was going to make but then I saw this much simpler desgin I love it. And will u make a bench press please

• Sadie Jane

Brady,

What’s amazing is that you can use the squat rack as a bench press. Its a little awkward but it stills does the job of holding the bar for you.

• Brady

What type of wood did u use and what did u use for the divits in the squat rack

• Sadie Jane

For the squat rack we used a typical 2×6 douglas fir. Try and find one that is high quality with minimal wood grain. For the divits we used a jig saw to cut them out.

• Ashley

So glad I saw this, such a great idea!

I’m going to try and build this tomorrow, just a few questions. What part of the rack is the base that you made out of scrap wood? I have the design all mapped out, but I’m not quite sure where that extra scrap wood comes into play. Also, is the rack also nailed into the wall? Is it possible to not have it nailed in the wall, or does that help stabilize it?

Thank you!