PALEO CHALLENGE

So you’ve all heard me talk about {CROSSFIT}
and you all know that it is very much a love/hate relationship!

I think it’s safe to say that I HATE IT today!
My gym is hosting a PALEO CHALLENGE for 8 weeks and since I go to that gym everyday but Sunday they kinda convinced me {more like tied me up and threatened me!} to do this challenge.

Paleo is a certain way to eat.
It is called the caveman diet.
Eating only from what you can scavenge.
I can eat whatever I want but if I eat something other than the list of foods below it costs as points against me!

SO my cupcake, candy eating body is going to try it…
HERE GOES NOTHIN’!!

Take the time to read some of these ridiculous food choices!
I was laughing out loud over all the GAME MEAT choices!
It really helps me sleep at night thinking that I can eat as much turtle and kangaroo as I want!!
Seriously people…I thought that it was illegal to eat animals like that!:)

Lean Meats: Lean beef (trimmed of visible fat), Flank steak, Top sirloin steak, Extra-lean hamburger (no more than 7% fat, extra fat drained off), London broil, Chuck steak, Lean veal, Any other lean cut, Lean pork (trimmed of visible fat), Pork loin, Pork chops, Any other lean cut, Lean poultry (white meat, skin removed), Chicken breast, Turkey breast, Game hen breasts, Eggs , Chicken (go for the enriched omega 3 variety), Duck. Goose
Other meats: Rabbit meat (any cut), Goat meat (any cut)
Organ meats: Beef, lamb, pork, and chicken liver, Beef, pork, and lamb tongues, Beef, lamb, and pork marrow, Beef, lamb, and pork “sweetbreads”
Game meat: Alligator, Bear, Bison (buffalo), Caribou, Elk, Emu, Goose, Kangaroo, Muscovy duck, New Zealand cervena deer, Ostrich, Pheasant, Quail, Rattlesnake, Reindeer, Squab, Turtle, Venison, Wild boar, Wild turkey
Fish: Bass, Bluefish, Cod, Drum, Eel, Flatfish, Grouper, Haddock, Halibut, Herring, Mackerel, Monkfish, Mullet
Northern pike, Orange roughy, Perch, Red snapper, Rockfish, Salmon, Scrod, Shark, Striped bass, Sunfish
Tilapia, Trout, Tuna, Turbot, Walleye
Shellfish: Abalone, Clams, Crab, Crayfish, Lobster, Mussels, Oysters, Scallops, Shrimp
Fruit:Apple, Apricot, Avocado, Banana, Blackberries, Blueberries, Boysenberries, Cantaloupe, Carambola, Cassava melon, Cherimoya, Cherries, Cranberries, Figs, Gooseberries, Grapefruit, Grapes, Guava, Honeydew, melon, Kiwi, Lemon, Lime, Lychee, Mango, Nectarine, orange,starfruit, Peaches, Pears, Persimmon, Pineapple,

Plums, Pomegranate, Raspberries, Rhubarb, Strawberries, Tangerine, Watermelon
Vegetables:Artichoke, Asparagus, Beet, greens, Beets, Bell peppers, Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Collards, Cucumber, Dandelion, Eggplant, Endive, Green onion, Kale, Kohlrab, Lettuce, MushroomsMustard, greens, Onions, Parsley, Parsnip, Peppers (all kinds), Pumpkin, Purslan, Radish, Rutabaga, Seaweed, Spinach, Squash (all kinds), Swiss char, Tomatillos, Tomato (actually a fruit, but most people think of it as a vegetable)Turnip greens, Turnips, Watercress
Nuts and Seeds: Almonds, Brazil nuts, Cashews, Chestnuts, Hazelnuts (filberts), Macadamia nuts, Pecans, Pine nuts, Pistachios (unsalted), Pumpkin seeds, Sesame seeds, Sunflower seeds, Walnuts
{food selection courtesy of maltesecrossfit.com}

This was my first official Paleo dinner!

eggs, turkey, broccoli, peppers, garlic, mushrooms and herbs.

It actually wasn’t so bad!!
Needless to say Reagan and I are going grocery shopping after the gym today!
Anyone out there have any good Paleo friendly recipes?
DON’T FORGET TO GRAB MY BUTTON EVERYONE!
HAPPY Tuesday!
XOXO
Sadie Jane

• Mommy Melissa

Here’s a link to my friend who is also doing Cross Fit and started a Paleo Blog: http://www.occavegirl.com/OC_Cavegirl/Home/Home.html

• Candace Boice

I’ve always wanted to try the paleo challenge! Can’t wait to see some of the things you make! Keep us informed, I’d love to try some of the recipes you use! :)

• Trulie Scrumptious

Yikes that sounds scary! Hey me and my sister just started a blog and would LOVE any tips and advice you have since your blog is just {simply amazing} check it out!
    trulie-scrumptious.blogspot.com
    Thanks girl!

• Caity

wow you go girl!!! I bet your creative mind is going to start going into overtime coming up with new recipes….. I’m not a crossfit participate but is this strange… i would love to challenge myself … maybe i can think of good recipes and send them over!!! GoodLuck!

• Johnsons Part Deux

Seriously!? Yikes. This just doesn’t sound fun. I hate hate hate diets/food restrictions. But all the power to you as you start out on your 8 week journey! Hm, sad. Just as Easter is upon us with baskets full of jelly beans, chocolates, cadbury eggs, Reese’s peanut butter eggs, etc etc. :) GOOD LUCK!!! ps – could you go into the details of the point of it all? ie benefits of eating the Polero diet?

• Johnsons Part Deux

haha…i mean paleo! i’m new to this!

• Jake &Yessica

Sadie, I just started paleo yesterday! So far so good. Good luck!

• Jake &Yessica

OH and I bought a recipe book I can try to send you pdf copy later today.

• Trissta

OMG! I LOVE Crossfit. I do believe mine has become an addiction. I go to the North Logan, Utah one and seriously… It kicks my trash! I have implemented alot of the paleo principles in my life… just haven’t been able to give up a few things to become 100% cavegirl. So, way to go!!

-Trissta

• Sadie Jane

Thank you thank you thank you for all of your insight!! MOmmy Melissa thank you for sending me to your friends blog! it is amazing!! And Yes I will explain paleo and the benefits of it more on a later post!! I will let you all now how it is going!!

• Jess

You go girl!
    I have to say, I tried this diet for about a week and it was an epic fail! But, you know all about my struggles with eating and fitness!!
    Deep down I wanna be a cave girl!!
    Bad!!!

By the way-cute new look for this place!

I’m having my very first give away this week in honor of 100 blog posts! Yipee!

Oh yea, check out this blog for tons o paleo recipes!

• Karri

Reading backwards… now I just read that its an 8 week thing. Ok. Do-able. But not for me. What about legumes? Can’t you forage for legumes if you were a vegetarian caveperson? Because all that meat? I’d fall over and starve. Ick.